More than half of American workers live paycheck-to-paycheck. Stuck in this cycle, they collectively lose over $120 billion each year on payday loans, bank overdrafts, and fees. We’re trying to fix that by building new financial services that make it easier to plan ahead, pay down debt, and save. And we’re doing it as a transparent, straightforward business that only profits when our members do.
Platform Engineering builds the foundation for all product features at Even. We are the stewards of Even's domain model and ensure that our stack reflects the reality of our members' lives. We publish APIs that implement critical services, like accounting, payment processing, reliable messaging, and more. Our team consists of full-stack and backend engineers who care about building performant, scalable, and reliable systems that solve real-world problems.
What you'll do
- Contribute to core services that cut across every part of the product.
- Own your features end-to-end, across frontend, backend, database, and analytics.
- Serve as a technical architect, carefully crafting interfaces that manage the enormous complexity of our members' lives.
- Proactively scale our systems as our member base and team grow.
What you'll need
- 2+ years of software engineering experience, or equivalent.
- You've worked with popular relational databases like MySQL or, preferably, PostgreSQL.
- Preferably, you've shipped production-quality distributed systems. You prefer cattle to pets and invest early in monitoring.
- Pride in your craft. You bias towards simple abstractions and reliable systems.
Signs that you're a great fit
- You thrive in a passionate, mission-driven environment. You measure your success by your impact on people’s lives.
- You know that a successful product requires more than great engineering. You think deeply about our members’ problems, our product vision, and our design approach.
- You hold yourself and those around you to high standards. You know that achieving excellence is a continuous process, not an accident.
- You are pragmatic and carefully weigh tradeoffs on a case-by-case basis to achieve the most value for our team and members.
- You understand that the road to a great product is paved with candid, but respectful, feedback. You care more about finding the truth than being right.
- You love to proactively help those around you grow. You unsparingly offer your time to mentor colleagues.
- You bring positivity and optimism to the team each day. You care deeply but don’t take yourself too seriously.
What you'll get from us — great work
What you'll get from us — great benefits
- Competitive compensation, equity, healthcare, and retirement packages.
- A $5,000 annual educational stipend to invest in your learning and development.
- A $500 annual financial advice stipend.
- A $100 monthly stipend for health and wellness expenses.
- A flexible vacation policy and a team that understands building a company is a marathon, not a sprint.
- 12 weeks of paid parental leave.
What you'll get from us — a great workplace
- Carefully defined anti-perks that create a focused and inclusive office.
- A pleasant, easily-accessible workspace in downtown Oakland with lots of natural light.
- Coworkers you can bring home to your parents. We do our best work in a close-knit, supportive environment.
- A team that values substance over style.
Even is used by people of all backgrounds, and we believe the best products are built by teams that represent their users. We value unique contributions and actively welcome people of all backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives to join us at Even.